We could argue about what the definition of CCTV is all day long, but the core issue is the software does not reliably work as you have portrayed it. Please prove me wrong by testing it on your newest 8 channel SPOE NVR without the NVR having any external access. Also try it with it having external access and you will see that it doesn't work as you are stating in the forums. Again I would love to be wrong and have a workable solution, but as of yet i have not found any of your suggestions to be usable. If you can find a working solution for your newest NVRs please provide it here after you have tested it.
For others struggling here is the only combination that i have gotten to work and it is an un-reasonable workaround.
1. Open zviewer when connected to the same IP segment.
2. Add by IP tab put in username and password, but dont click add.
3. Add by Device ID tab put device ID, Next, put in username and password. Choose add It will fail, but thats fine, were just caching the creds.
4. Do a LAN search and add the NVR that way.
5. Drag 3 times the NVR onto the camera canvas. it has to be 3 times before it will work.
---5a. if you check the logs you will see why, the software basically connects and disconnects in milliseconds, but third
time is always the charm.
6. If you close the software you have to do this all again.