Map Network Drive on Zmodo NVR

I have the 8-Channel Zmodo “sPOE” 3rd-Gen system (ZP-NJ18-S).

I’d prefer for the NVR to use a network location for storage rather than an internal hard-disk.

Is there any option to map a network drive to be used for the storage, as an alternative to the local drive?

Thank you in advance!

Due to lack of response, I assume there is no way to use a network drive as the NVR’s storage.

I’ve continued looking for a solution and it appears the reverse is possible:

Using a remote DVR to pull from the NVR streams by accessing each NVR camera’s RTSP output.

I found a Zmodo article on accessing RTSP here:

Can anyone confirm that when using the Zmodo sPOE cameras (which are required to work through the NVR) that this RTSP option will allow each Zmodo camera to be accessed in real-time? In other words, using an alternative DVR software to replace the NVR’s software?

Thank you in advance!

https://www.ipcent.com/Mobile/IPCENTCOM

This app works quite well if you have a Windows machine.

The Android app is also very good

Thank you, that is a nice app for RTSP feeds.

However, in my case, I was asking about something a bit different…

I was wondering whether the Zmodo sPOE cameras, which are required to pass through the DVR (I’m using the Zmodo “sPOE” 3rd-Gen system (ZP-NJ18-S) – and I would like to know whether this sPOE system is compatible with applications like the one you mentioned, that consume RTSP feeds.

In the case of the IPcent application you mentioned, they list many Zmodo models, but none of them are the sPOE models.

Thanks again for the great info.

Why not download and try, its free!

I have the ZP-NE14-S NVR with 4 ZP-IBT15-S cams

They have a mobile app which you can try also.

Have you heard of https://zoneminder.com/?

@SouthSun Please be aware that @dsk has cameras that are likely 2 years old or older. They are also likely running an unencrypted video stream that supports direct RTSP stream access.

Newer cameras running the ecrypted video stream won’t support direct RTSP stream access. So if you have newer cameras, you experience will likely be different.

The newer Zviewer software will allow you to locally access and record encrypted cameras to the PC’s local hard drive.

Thank you @Patty, this is exactly why I was asking, because the sPOE systems are quite different.

Is there an option to use the sPOE systems in NON-encrypted mode? I do realize that Zviewer is one option, but I am specifically asking about an option that does not require a proprietary method of accessing Zmodo SPOE cameras.

It’s very important that Zmodo does not block its customers from using software best for their needs, don’t you agree?

In my case, ZViewer suffers from many problems and I’ve had much better success with open-source DVR solutions.

In short, can you tell me how I go about using the sPOE systems in an open, non-proprietary manner, such as with RTSP or some other manner, possibly direct-to-disk by mapping the NVR to a remote drive rather than local. I don’t mind a difficult workaround, I just need to know how it is that Zmodo can work with a non-proprietary, or more open system?

At this point, given the security issues that led to IoT devices being used in large scale DDOS attacks, Zmodo isn’t opening up our products for use with third party software.

It is something that we have considered for implementation in the future, but we would need to be sure of security first.

I wish I had known that Zmodo sPOE systems were not compatible with anything, and Zmodo’s own proprietary software was so buggy, prior to buying a Zmodo system.

Zmodo’s excuse of IoT devices being used for DDoS attacks is absolutely untrue.

All IoT DDoS attacks leveraged IoT devices consistent default passwords. That alone is the only reason that IoT devices can be exploited.

Publishing a un-encrypted, read-only RTSP stream cannot be used in any sort of DDoS attack and can only be used in a pull-fashion (not push).

I am shocked that Zmodo would be so horribly disingenuous as to limit their products so that they cannot be used with other solutions, then claim this is for the benefit of the consumer, when clearly there is zero benefit to the consumer and this is an outright lie on Zmodo’s part.

RTSP is a vulnerable protocol. There are a number of websites dedicated exclusively to showcasing unsecured or poorly secured unencrypted RTSP streams. We don’t support unencrypted RTSP video streams because they are inherently vulnerable.

Incompatibility with 3rd party software is to prevent vulnerability to the attacks that allow IoT devices to be used for DDOS attacks.

You’re taking one piece of information and using it to confuse people with less technical knowledge.

RTSP “vulnerabilities” have nothing to do with DDoS attacks. Not one thing.

Furthermore, you could allow the user to choose whether they wanted their system to be blocked from working with non-Zmodo software, but you do not allow this because it’s not about doing what’s right for the consumer. It’s about limiting Zmodo to your own buggy, proprietary, limited software.

I’m sorry if you were confused by my explanation.
I am explaining the multiple reasons why the devices aren’t 3rd party enabled.

RTSP vulnerability is one reason we do not support 3rd party access.
DDoS attacks are a second reason we do not support 3rd party access
The reasons themselves aren’t linked in any way other than that both were factors in Zmodo’s decision not to support 3rd party access.

I’m not confused by your explanation in the least.

DDoS has nothing to do with third-party access. It has to do with consistent default passwords. Making your system proprietary or disallowing people to use your cameras with the solution that fits their needs, doesn’t stop DDoS in any way.

RTSP vulnerabilities are of no harm or risk to users.

Furthermore, if this was a true concern, you could allow a setting for users to change this configuration.

The truth is that since Zmodo started the 3rd-generation sPOE systems, you’ve begun a new approach of making hardware that cannot be mixed-and-matched or work in any way other than your proprietary setup; in the same way you design software that is proprietary and won’t play nicely with others.

It’s one thing to do that. It’s another to blame it on security issues and pretend you’re doing it to help the consumer, when the opposite is true.

Furthermore, if you are going to lock-down your system to only your own proprietary software, it’s extremely important you write software that runs reliably. Zmodo software continues to have severe bugs, which is why I’m so desperate to use it with third-party software, which has always worked great for me.

DDoS is related to 3rd party access. The passwords that are being exploited are typically the same passwords that allow the devices to communicate with 3rd party devices/software. If you do not have that access available then the passwords aren’t there to be exploited.

RTSP vulnerabilities allow customer’s video to be accessed by people without their knowledge. That is considered to be both a risk and harm to users.

Previously, we released Onvif compatible cameras and other cameras with an unencrypted video stream. As the exploitation of security vulnerabilities became more prevalent, we updated camera firmware to close off those security vulnerabilities. We then changed the way that hardware was manufactured in order to further improve on that security. Please be aware, our 3rd party sPoE systems have only been manufactured since early 2017, and our lack of 3rd party software support has been in place for a few years.